Why Cupkeiki?

Who am I? Some know me by: Chola Lo, Frida, Lowski, LoLo
I once was Tu Madre but my momma made me change my derby name =(

My love for all the bakery in the world. Keiki in Hawaii means little kid. And what a perfect name! I love cakes and Cupcakes are little versions of cakes. So I thought perfect! CupKeiki!

Recipes that are copyrighted will be noted as so but these will be mainly recipes that were given to me or that i've tweaked to my own tastebuds.


Saturday, September 5, 2009

Christmas Ideas

I'm placing this in this blog and my Loca Arts blog because it's a little bit of both.

Last year I made a mess in my kitchen.  I definately need to stock up on baking pans (since mine have mysteriously dissappeared at family functions) and mixing bowls.

I wish I had two...no three ovens!

Anywho, I was broke trying to do something orginal (I'm not gonna lie, haha) so I decided to do a ton of homemade gifts (gift bags) and baked goods.  I have like tribes and villages of family so quanity and quality come into play.

 For the kiddies:
  • I got decrative bags at the dollar store (that's my hot spot).
  • Hot Chocolate Mix (the huge one at Costco) and placed a sandwich sized ziplock baggie 1/2 - 3/4 full of it.
  • A snack sized ziplock baggie full of mini marshmallows.
  • Peppermint sticks.
After stuffing the bags, I tied them off with ribbon and I had got a big box of Christmas ornaments and each ornament I hand decorated with christmas drawings, their names all in silver mettalic permanent marker.  Along with the year so that when they have their own tree and family, then can have an ornament from their childhood. =)

 For the adults:
  • I got decrative bags at the dollar store (again, that's my hot spot).
  • "Fancy" flavored coffee from Grocery Outlet (shh, I gave everyone decaf. ahaha) and placed a sandwich sized ziplock baggie 1/2 - 3/4 full of it.
  • A snack sized ziplock baggie with a few sticks of cinnamon (so they can place in the filter with the coffee for some additional smelling pleasure and cinnamon pop).
After stuffing the bags, I tied them off with ribbon and I had got a big box of Christmas ornaments and each ornament I hand decorated with christmas drawings, their family last name (all in silver mettalic permanent marker. Along with the year. =).

Ready Set Bake!
I was on my way home minding my own business when a garage sale made me pull over.  I seen dishes (a few matched but there were some misfit plates in the stack). I asked the lady how much.  She said $2.  I thought $2 per plate, no.....$2 for the whole stack! 10 plates fore $2? That's like....that's like....well it's cheap.

I took them home and prepped them to be party trays.

I baked my little kitchen out.  On each plate was an array of tasty items:

  • Banana Bread Loaves (slices for those who had small familia like 1-3 persons)
  • Lemon Pound Cake with a lemon glaze (I used the lemons from my great g-ma's tree mmmm)
  • Mexican Wedding Cookies (although my mom loved em, I think they just tasted like almond cookies)
  • Bourbon Balls (Chocolate Dusted)
  • Bourbon Balls (Coconut Rolled)
  • Bourbon Balls (Confectioner's Sugar Dusted)
I'll post recipe's later.  It's not a long list. But when you have 1 oven, 3 mixing bowls, a whisk (remember no Kitchen Aid in my ghetto kitchen) and misfit set of baking pans....this was a task.  I loved every moment of it. but sheesh storing and all.

Needless to say, they loved the idea of baked goods.  So I decided to do it again this years but change the menu.

I'm thinking of making:

Cakes/Cupcakes
 Cake Pops
  • Red Velvet Lollipops
  • Cheesecake Lollipops
Pie(s)
  • Pie Pops (I really want to do this but it would have to be done for a smaller group)
Cookies
  • Chocolate Truffles
  • Melting Moments
Pudding
Maybe for the Pie Pops I'll make some for Thanksgiving and make Pumpkin Pie Pops.  I've made so called "pop tarts" with phyllo pastry sheets and jam. But pie pops sound waaaaay better. OH! I can use the gluten free crust! hmmm....

Now, not ALL of those will be made, those are just some ideas I'm tossing around. I've made all of the items in the cupcakes/cakes and Pudding Section. I would like to try making them all at one time or another before having everyone be my guniea pigs at Christmas and end up with Chorro.

Anyhow, that's my home made ideas.  Oh check out my Loca Arts for homemade ideas this year (not yet posted but soon).

  

No comments:

Post a Comment